Thursday, May 2, 2013

...From the Greenhouse to the Kitchen...


This Saturday was a huge success with yard sales all over the place...
The hubby was absorbed in end of semester finals, buried eyebrow deep in research papers, so what better time for this little girl to steal away to a few yard sales, find herself some buried treasures, ooh and aah over lots of pretties, and barter for a few antique wire baskets?


{The piece of paper under the left leg is because I am inpatient!  There was still a little wet paint, so instead of leaving it outside until it was COMPLETELY dry, I put some paper under it to keep the floor clean...Yep!}
I try not to have any expectations when I head out on my yard sale adventures, mostly because, due to past experiences, if I go with an open mind and a blank slate, I can't be disappointed.  Sure, I like to have things in mind that I am looking for but I try not to expect to find them.

Well, this Saturday was just like any other... I got in my car, buckled my seat belt, and pulled up our local newspaper on my phone, searching though the classifieds for "Garage Sales."  

...I have to tell you,  I get so very giddy when it comes to yard sales!...  I mean, why in your right mind, would you get up at the crack of dawn, on a Saturday, when the rest of the world is fast asleep, if it wasn't to do something that made your heart race?...

And the great thing about living in the "city" now, I use the term "city" very loosely...this place is more like a large town, but to me, it's bigger and busier, thus a city!.... Anyways, there are yard sales EVERYWHERE, and I don't have to go very far to find them.

Back to the story...where were we, car, seat belt, oh yeah, "Garage Sales" in the classifieds... Yeah, so I crank the car after I find a few I would like to check out, pull the addresses up on Google Maps, and I'm off...
First house I come to is the epitome of Southern Charm... two story, white brick, columns, full porches on both levels, ferns hanging between each of the columns... I could just imagine the parties, and the sweet tea and the big hats that have been had, sipped, and worn in this house!  
  After I wiped the drool off of my face, I was ready to find some treasures, although because of the size of house and style, I figured I probably couldn't afford much if anything that they had for sale.  I'm walking around, perusing, and there were only a few things that jumped out at me... A beautiful old chest of drawers, with a "SOLD" sign on it, a white antique pitcher,{score} and then there was this beautiful solid table, being used to prop framed pictures that were for sale.
  
SWOON...my heart started racing as i walked over to it... Yeah it was old, yeah it was dirty, but with a little TLC and elbow grease, this baby was soon to be good as new...actually better than new and the most beautiful island that a kitchen had ever seen.  I walked over to the lady, and asked if the table was even for sale, which she informed me had been used in her greenhouse, and said, "You know what, actually it is."  Trying not to act too excited, I casually asked "how much?"

You know, part of the fun is the chase...if you act too interested, they may think you'll pay a million bucks for it, and if you act too disinterested then someone else may come buy it out from underneath you...
$25.00 she said.  At this point, there was no hiding the excitement in any more.  I'm not sure but I probably did one of those little Irish skip kick thingies...

"OK," I said, "Let me text my husband and see what he thinks."  He said yes, I paid her, went home to get him and his truck to come back and load the beauty up.  After taking the table back home, I checked out a few more sales, made a quick trip to Lowe's, got the wood I needed and one of the nice employees there to cut it to size for me, so that I could come home and get straight to work...

Three 1 x 6 x 12's, one 1 x 6 x 6, a small can of MinWax Wood Finish stain in special walnut and a quart size can of flat white Olympic paint and I was well on my way.  

Oh, and I don't know about you but a trip to Lowe's for me is just like a trip to Wal Mart for others, and I can't ever buy JUST what I need...there was a super cute PINK toolbox on sale, half price I might add, and every woman who is about the refinish the island of her dreams needs a pink toolbox to keep her tools organized once shes finished.
Came home, unloaded the truck, and went to work.  The table was in great condition except for the top...and since it was gonna be used in my kitchen I thought it would be best to wash the entire thing down with water and Clorox and then just replace the boards on top.
I first took the boards off of the sides and the top, brushed off all of the potting soil, and then washed the entire table down with Clorox and water and a brush.  

Once it dried, I nailed the top 4 new boards on top, and then nailed the new boards onto the sides.
 
I painted the legs and the bottom shelf white, and while that was drying...



I stained the new top and side boards.  And while that was drying I got my sander and sanded the legs and bottom shelf, which was now dry (thanks to a beautiful, breezy Saturday).


 And a little less than 4 hours later, I'm texting my hubby, which I'm trying super hard not to bother, to come and check her out! Oh, and to help me bring her inside.... I know, I know... He was buried and I was being a nuisance, but I was ecstatic with this beautiful piece of art that was about to take up residence in my kitchen.
  

The part I forgot to tell you was that this is the EXACT vision I had for the island I wanted us to build for the kitchen.  Only, my vision cost about, well at least, $150 dollars.  And because of the work that it would take to create this, I had settled on buying an island from Ikea, which I absolutely adored but was waiting on the funds to purchase.  It would cost a little more than we were wanting to spend, but where it was more in cost, it would compensate for in the time and work that would have had to go into making and building it.

And what does the good Lord do?  He sends me to that house with that table with a woman asking that price... Which after the trip to Lowes, costed me only $66.00... And I don''t know what you may think, but the Lord cares about the small things... My life is evidence of that!

SO what do you think? Are you swooning like I was and like I am?  This has to be by far, at the top of the list of my favorite projects.


Oh, and I did barter a bit...See, I had a $20 bill and five $1 bills in my pocket and this table was $25.00 and I also wanted that white pitcher, that was $1.00... So I got the table and the pitcher for 25$ :)...and I got in my car and screamed and clapped my hands, did a little dance, noticed someone looking at me like i was crazy, and screamed and did a little dance again!!


Featured:












House on the Way








Embracing Change



A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays Feature




Linking Up To:

Furniture Feature Fridays



A Jennuine Life Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays 

Embracing Change   
The 36th AVENUE Liz Marie Blog
House on the Way
     Beyond The Picket Fence    
    
 photo shareyourdealsbutton.jpg

39 comments:

  1. Eeek!! I love this! I'm so jealous,I'm dying for something like this to use as a kitchen island. Great job!!

    Stephanie @ thestyledsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stephanie. I have been patiently waiting myself!! Oh, and I checked out your blog...LOVE!! I'm now following you!! happy day!!

      Delete
  2. Nicole, that's great! Love what you did with that.
    It would be perfect in my home too. It looks so good in yours.
    New follower,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb... I am a HUGE fan of your paintings!

      Delete
  3. This is great! And you make me laugh with the scream and the happy dance! :) You need to go full time into decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Michelle! I'm surprised you didn't hear me squealing with excitement :) I would love to go into this full time...we will just have to see what the Lord wills!! Happy Weekend!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is amazing! I love what you did with it ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com
    PS: I'm your newest follower ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie!
      I am loving your blog!
      And I'm your newest follower!!

      Delete
    2. OMG! This is just fabulous! Make sure you link up with Jamie and I at the Give Me The Goods Link Party! http://dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-6.html

      New Follower here!

      Delete
    3. Amber, I just linked up to Give Me The Goods...
      Thanks so much for being a new follower and for checking out my blog!
      You are awesome!!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Kathy! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic job and I love the pitcher too. Great find. I saw you at Stone Gable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, Thanks so much... I love all things white, so the pitcher for $1.00 was about as exciting a find as the table. Thanks for checking out my post.

      Blessings! ~Nicole

      Delete
  7. Awesome find and you did an amazing job re-vamping it!!! Love, love, love it! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jenna..thanks so much! I am a follower of yours and also receive your blog posts via email. You have been such an inspiration to me with your blog and the different lessons that you include on how to become a better blogger. Thanks again for all of your hard work and encouragement!

      God Bless~
      Nicole

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!! I look forward to seeing some of your creations soon!

      Delete
  9. What an incredible find! It looks absolutely amazing!!
    Krista @thehappyhousie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista!
      Each morning I walk into the kitchen my heart smiles...It was an incredible find and it has been so much fun sharing it with everyone!!

      Nicole

      Delete
  10. That rescued piece is so awesome!! I love how you repurposed it!!!
    If you have time I'd love for you to share it at my brand new blog party.

    have a blessed evening~
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Rene'... I just went over and linked up...and checked out your blog...which I LOVE!! I would like to become a follower but I couldn't seem to find a place to do that! Thanks for the encouragement!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up!
      Also, I'm not sure why my FB like app isn't showing up.
      You can click the rss feed or sign up via email.
      I'm with wordpress not blogger so I don't have the friend follow button :(
      Have a great Sunday!
      xo

      Delete
  12. You've been featured at Give Me The Goods! Come by my blog http://dimplesandpigtales.com and grab your button!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great score! I have a kitchen island I am planning to build. If I found that beauty, I would have jumped on it too. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The holding out on building and buying really did pay off this time!! Have a blessed day!

      Nicole

      Delete
  14. Love it! Thanks for sharing it at my Twirl & Take a Bow party. Stop by House on the Way tomorrow to see it featured!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Leslie! Thank you so much!! Im headed over to grab a button now!!

      Nicole

      Delete
  15. Popped over from Embracing Change...my first time on your blog I believe. I love that you could look at the old, mildewed table and see a beautiful piece for your kitchen. You have the vision (too.) I would have looked at it and thought, plant stand! Ha ha.
    This is perfect for your spacious kitchen and at such an affordable price. Smart girl!

    Small House / Big Sky Donna
    White Oak Studio Designs / Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations & Handmade Paper Artwork
    Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (quickest way to view my furniture)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! It was a blast and all the encouraging comments have only confirmed my excitement!!

      Thanks for your kind words! Heading over to check out your blog now!!

      Nicole

      Delete
  16. LOVE how it turned out! You are a STAR over at I Gotta Create!

    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2013/05/sprucing-up-for-spring.html

    Thanks so much for linking up to the party,

    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature Christina!!

      Delete
  17. Love how your island turned out~ sharing it at the party tomorrow~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! This project was a blast to do!! Happy Weekend!

      Delete
  18. So cute! I found you through Feathered Nest Friday. Congratulations on the feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog! Hope you will come back!!

      Have a blessed and happy weekend!!

      Delete
  19. that is the island of my dreams. I'm going to use yours to build one. Only change I'll make is to add a few short boards to the legs under the shelf to make it square and then add rollers so I can move it to steam mop. Love your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we would be great friends!! If this one would have been smaller, I would have added rollers, too!! Good luck with your project and hope you will come back!! Thanks!!

      God Bless!
      Nicole

      Delete
  20. Gorgeous find and you did an amazing job, thanks for share.UK Cheapest Online Beds Store

    ReplyDelete

Feedback...