Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Time to Repent...and Be Restored


Today begins the 40 day season of Lent... and I couldn't be any more excited.  Growing up Southern Baptist, Easter was one of the largest, if not the largest, holidays celebrated in my church.  However, the 40 days prior were not spoken of much to my knowledge.  As an adult, desiring more of God and His presence, the hubby and I took part in Passover with a dear couple.  It rocked our world and our walk with Jesus.  We had never experienced such intimacy with the Holy of Holies.  For the next few years we anticipated Passover but still never spent a lot of time studying up on the period of time leading up to Passover and then Easter, Lent.  Beginning on Ash Wednesday, Lent is meant to be a time of repentance, a time of throwing off the things that hold us in bondage, the "idols" that have slithered in and slowly but surely taken our focus off of the King of kings.  


This year I have been counting down the days to February 18, spending time in prayer, asking what God would have me give up, to reveal to me the idols I have regretfully placed ahead of Him.  "Sugar," I thought, "I'll give up sugar for 40 days.  I was able to do this last year by the sheer grace and mercy of Jesus."  Now, sugar does have a hold on me...I seem to have a ginormous sweet tooth.  But it wasn't until yesterday that I allowed the Helper to really reveal what God was asking me to get rid of...the things that hinder my time with Him and in His Word.  



...Social Media and Television...

Since having a baby, spending lots of time on the couch due to the c-section, and late night feedings, my phone and Netflix have become the biggest time waster and distraction that I can recall in quite some time.  So, following through in obedience, I removed my Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest apps first thing this morning. 

My theme for the next 40 days... Throwing off all distractions so that I may be present in His presence.


And my verse... "Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24


Along with the distractions of social media and television, I feel the need to simplify my life as much as possible.  CLUTTER... I have had enough of it.  If I am to throw off the things that hold me in bondage and distract me, then that means going through my home and doing the same thing.  In doing a little research, I found this awesome website with a PDF Guide.

Follow along if you would like...today we start with kitchen drawers-cutlery and cooking utensils. 

I have so much to tell you about what He is revealing to me already but I'll save it for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback...