Friday, November 4, 2011

My Newest Love...The Embroidery Hoop

Embroidery Hoop Transformation Tutorial




Call me crazy, but I am in L-O-V-E! This turned out SO much better than I could have expected. Maybe I'm just a little partial but, Oh My...this is too stinkin' cute!


So let's get started!


You need a few items for this creation:
paint (color of your choice)
paintbrush
pen
tape
muslin
embroidery hoop
printout of whatever you are going to paint on your muslin



First:
Tape your printout to the window. The sunlight will help you to transfer the pattern better.


Second:
Tape the muslin on top of the printout.



Third:
Trace the pattern with a pen or pencil.



Fourth:
Pull the muslin off of the window and lay on a flat surface. You can see how the transfer looks better on this surface. I left the printout behind the muslin because I didn't want the paint to get onto the table...it will bleed through.


Fifth: Get to work! Paint your transfer.


Sixth: Let Dry


Seventh: Once dry, lay your smaller hoop(the inner hoop) onto the table. Lay your painted muslin on top of this smaller hoop. Center your pattern, then lay the larger hoop (the outer hoop) on top. Press down, fitting the smaller into the bigger. Pull around the edges to make sure our muslin is tight, then tighten the screw on the top of your embroidery hoop. Trim the edges. I was given some great advice AFTER I had trimmed the edges of my muslin but maybe you will finish reading this before you start. Leave about 3/4 inch muslin when trimming, line the inside hoop with glue, and fold the muslin inside to the glue. This will keep your muslin from unraveling and give you a better, more smooth edge.


and Ta Daa! Isn't it gorgeous?!




I chose "L" and Est. 2007 because of mine and the hubbys last name and the year our family was established! 2007...almost 5 years! My how time flies when you're having fun and making memories!



I have to tell you the best part of this tutorial. This tutorial was created during my lunch break! I get 1 hour for lunch and this took only...drum roll please... 30 MINUTES! That is it! I found the embroidery hoop at Christian Ministries for $2.00, the muslin I bought from Walmart for $2.97 a yard...I only used about 1/4 yard so that's what? About $0.90. And I already had the paint...bringing my total coast to:
$2.90




These would make great Christmas gifts, wedding gifts, housewarming treasures....and on and on and on! They are also beautiful hanging on your front door in the place of a wreath.



You will be seeing a lot more of these from me. I already have several of these personalized in my mind for a few special someones!



Obviously you can tell how I feel about this darling project. I wanna hear what you think!

Happy crafting!

fingerprints on the fridge
The Shabby Nest
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

1 comment:

Feedback...