Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Not So Shabby Lamp Re-Do



I bought this lamp about 6 months ago from the Christian Ministries...Something about it just caught my eye so I paid $10 bucks for it, rode it around in the back of my vehicle for about 3 weeks, then stuck it in my craft room to collect dust.  I cleaned my craft room out a few weeks ago and there it was, still waiting for me...

I have had a vision for this from the moment I spotted it.   It was a lot of fun seeing it come to life.  Oh, and it looks exactly like I had envisioned it.

This is the lamp before I started.  It's about 3 feet tall... and I must admit, it was a pretty cool lamp before I got started.  The base was like mirror / mercury glass-looking because the metallic paint had starting chipping off...so vintage!  But this didn't match my decor so...I had to add a little burlap, some spray paint, and a few embellishments!


What You Need: 
old lamp  
old lamp shade
spray paint
burlap
ribbon or trim
hot glue gun
scissors
marker

..Numero Uno...1...One...
First things first... I took tape and wrapped it around the socket and the cord...then spray painted the base of the lamp. 

While you wait for the base to dry...

...Numero Dos...2...Two...
You need to cut the burlap to the shape of your lamp shade.  I just laid the shade onto the burlap and as I rolled the lamp shade around, I traced around the bottom of the shade.

...Numero Tres...3...Three...
Now cut your burlap...I cut about 2 inches below my traced line so I would have plenty of burlap to fold under and glue to the shade.

...Numero Quatro...4...Four...
Here I just cut out a small circle around the top...leaving plenty of burlap to fold over and glue to the shade.  This is what your burlap or material should now look like.

...Numero Cinco...5...Five...
Now just lay your lamp shade down on one end of the burlap and roll the shade around, gluing the burlap as you go.  Any excess burlap that you have on the inside of your shade, you can trim.

Oh...and let me just say this... if someone tells you that covering a lamp shade is easy, you may wanna decide whether or not that person is really your friend...because THEY ARE LYING TO YOU!!  I thought this was super tough...but maybe its just me.

...Numero Seis...6...Six...
There is a seam in the lamp shade anyways so try to work it to where the end of your burlap is overlapping this seam.  Fold the burlap under and hot glue in place.


This is how your covered lamp shade should now look.


Walmart has this pretty little flower embellished ribbon rolls now in their craft section.  Love!! When I was thinking about this re-do, this ribbon came to my mind as the perfect trim!

...Numero Siete...7...Seven...
Hot glue the trim around the bottom rim of your lamp shade.  I guess you could glue it around the top rim of the shade, too, if you like...

And your finished shade... isn't she a beauty!!

Now, just grab ya a light bulb, top your freshly spray painted lamp base with your newly covered shade, and plug in your revamped lamp!

And here are a few pictures of the finished project....







Photobucket
 Beyond The Picket Fence
 shabby creek cottage


4 comments:

  1. I think this is really pretty! Love the lamp shade and good tutorial! Love the trim treatment! It really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cute stuff - I love me some burlap! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Inspirations Party at Embracing Change!
      So happy you were here!
      Stacey

      Delete
  2. So lovely! :-D
    Well done and you gave me a great idea, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback...