Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Cookin Nook Renovation

I am super excited to show y'all what I've been working on lately. 


With a new house, ideas are filling up my mind and my Pinterest boards but the projects are kinda stop and go.  I work on things as I have a chance, when I'm not working or cleaning or doing laundry or cooking or working on special orders. 

It's sort of sad, I feel like a lot of my projects start out with a bang and then just end up with my left-overs. 

But, oh the feeling of accomplishment once they are complete.


 
 
The kitchen is one of my favorite rooms in the house and it is, by far, my favorite room to decorate.  I am always buying things for the kitchen...gadgets, pretty towels, girly aprons, fancy measuring cups...all that good stuff.  And the kitchen in our new home is super neat and so full of character so it hasn't taken much to dress her up.





I have only gotten as far as completing what I like to call "the cookin' nook," but for me, that's something worth celebrating...and sharing! 

We've gotta learn to celebrate the small stuff, ya know?!

The first step was a new coat of paint. 


I like to think of paint as the poor man's makeover.  It's the most inexpensive way to bring a fresh new look to a space or an item that needs a little pick-me-up. 
 

 I went with a more neutral color than the bright, happy yellow that lived on our kitchens walls previously.  I am big on not only the paint color, but its names, as well.  I've been known to buy a color of paint just because of it's name.

So, when I ran across this color in the Better Homes and Garden paint collection at Walmart, I knew that it was meant to be when I read the name "Tea-Stained."  What better name for the kitchen walls, right?  They say,"If these walls could talk," well, if mine could talk, I'm sure an introduction that went like this would make a great first impression, "Hello, my names Tea-Stained, and it's a pleasure to clothe your kitchen.


I drew the design I wanted, cut it out of a piece of cardboard, and got to tracing.

Instead of tracing out the entire nook, I just traced and painted one wall at a time.  Made me feel a little more accomplished doing it that way.


I am super thrilled with how this has turned out!  I just left the corner the plain white color it was and then I used the "Tea-Stained" color for the outline of the design.

It looks almost like wallpaper if you're not standing up close.


Of course we have lots of other plans, but this is an easy and inexpensive start.

Hopefully, one day, we'll build a big island, with white legs and a butcher block top... maybe some new light fixtures, who knows...but for today, I am satisfied with my renovated cookin' nook!



I'll have a a tutorial for this plate soon. Stay tuned for it...Make It In Minutes Monday.
It took me all of 3 minutes...maybe.



Well, I hope you enjoyed the introduction to my kitchen.  Maybe you will walk away feeling inspired!

Happy Day! 


Featured:

Photobucket





Linking Up To These Parties:


shabby creek cottage
Photobucket


http://www.thethriftyhome.com



9 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! You did such a wonderful job :) Off to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your charming kitchen at my party. I love the new color and that chalkborad is perfect!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing--the stencil is perfect there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Featuring this tonight Nicole!
    I love how it came out!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a stenciled, feature wall in the kitchen ~ so pretty! I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your encouragement! ANd Stacey and Maryann for featuring me! Y'all are all such awesome women!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you created your own design for the pattern. Did I read correctly that you hand painted the design? Very impressive. Some of my favorite make-overs where done on a super limited budget. Thanks for sharing.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Traci! And yes ma'am, after I traced the pattern, I went back and handpainted the design...no stencils involved here. Time consuming but worth it. And as far as a super limited budget goes, I like to tell people that's where my creativity stems from... a super limited budget! :) Happy day and many blessings to you!

      Delete

Feedback...