Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Southern Snow Day

We were blessed with a pretty thick blanket of snow last week!  I know for those of you from the north, that means nothing to you...y'all have had feet upon feet for weeks and are ready to see spring...heck probably even summer.  I'm a summer girl myself but there's nothing like snow day!  Yeah, we get a little here and there but it typically doesn't stick, let alone stick around. 


But last week we had snow for 3 DAYS!  And time seemed to stand still!




Roads were shut down, businesses closed up shop, thank the good Lord we kept power, but for a moment, it was as if everyone embraced their inner kid and just enjoyed life.  The hustle and bustle of bills, and work, and responsibilities just sort of halted, and we were all blessed with the opportunity to just embrace God's goodness and the simplicity and beauty of the moment.   I'll be honest, it took me 20 minutes to make a pot of coffee.  I couldn't stop taking pictures, running from one side of the house to the other, yelling for my hubby to come out of his study and "Look!  Look, babe!  Look at it coming down!"



Now I have to tell you.  I am an only child.  I grew up in a neighborhood where there weren't many neighbors and there were definitely no other children to play with.  I'm sure that has a lot to do with all the creativity that's fueled me over the past years.  I grew up on the lake, not in the country, but I considered it country because it was very woodsy and secluded.  I can only remember a few snows in my lifetime...one of which was the last big snow we had, in 2000.  I went outside sledding and in the first 10 minutes I had broken my leg!  What a bummer.  

So when we bought this house in the city with TONS of neighbors and lots of kids and a pretty awesome hill, I couldn't wait for a good snow!  Of course, every store within 100 miles was sold out of milk, bread, and sweetened condensed milk, but they were all also sold out of sleds. 

We improvised.  Boogie boards and skim boards work great in the snow, and especially on ice!!



No broken bones this time!  Only fun, laughter, high spirits, and a heart filled to the brim!

Oh!  And I can't forget the snow cream!  Where have you been all of my life?!  This was my first encounter with snow cream.  Don't feel sorry for me though!  We have always been told not to eat the first snow and I think that most years, we only got one snow, SO...no snow cream.

I sat a bowl out when it started snowing and just about lost it in only a few hours!


I thought I would share the recipe with you!  It's super easy and totally delicious! I'm pretty sure it changed my life!!



All you need is:
a bowl of snow 
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix it all together, eat it fast ( so it doesn't melt), and prepared to be wowed!


I'm already praying for another snow...can't wait for another bowl of that snow cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback...