Saturday, November 12, 2011

Glass Ornaments and a Little TLC


Remember these? Found 'em while I was doing a little treasure hunting. There are endless projects to be done with clear glass Christmas balls. Today, I'm gonna share one project that you can do with these beauties. Well, I guess it's just one project...one project with several different outcomes. Hang on to your socks...I told you I had a feeling I'd been knocking them off!


So here is what the ornaments looked like before. Someone had spent lots of time folding up little pipe cleaners and stuffing them into each ball. Lucky for me, I ended up with glass ornaments and lots of pipe cleaners to use for another project!


I used all 12 for this project...they were too pretty to stop stuffing! I decided to top them off with all different sorts of embellishments. I ended up filling them all with vintage sheet music, but I chose 3 different ways to stuff them; rolled up, crimped, and plain ole strips. Here are several close ups. I know, I know...I took A LOT of pictures, but you're only seeing the ones that I posted! They are just so darling!


When I started this project, I thought I would do them all alike. I pulled out all the pipe cleaners and began cutting the sheet music into strips.


I just started stuffing the balls with the strips, until they were full enough for me ( I had to use tweezers) and then put the caps back on.



I used all sorts of pieces for embellishments. Brown ribbon, burlap, twine, lace, even a few of the pipe cleaners I had pulled out.



I got tired of just the strips, so I started rolling the strips up, holding them tightly for a few seconds, then stuffing them down into the glass. I think these turned out real pretty!


I had an old big book of sheet music, probably used for piano practice, and then I had an old hymnal. The hymnal pages actually rolled up and held their shape better, but I preferred the grungy color of the sheet music. In the ornament below, I used the hymnal pages. Can you tell the difference in color?




The last style I used was crimping, or what looked like crimping. I just folded the strips, accordian style, back and forth, then stuffed into the balls. You see my repurposed pipe cleaners sticking out up there?!



Gosh, I just love how these turned out!



What do you think? Still wearing you socks?


Linking Up:

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special







Passionately Artistic


http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/


9 comments:

  1. this is a very kewl idea to make your tree unique.
    Would luv for my readers to see this awesome idea, will you please join our weekly party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
    have a great crafting weekend!
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggie! I just linked up to your site! Hope you find yourself having a blessed and beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made these, too and they are so much fun! Yours turned out great!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. They really are beautiful Nicole.
    I’d love for you to come link this up at my Simply Christmas Inspiration party at http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys...and Kerryanne, I just linked up to your Simply Christmas party! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you folded the paper in different ways...so cute :) laurel@chippingwithcharm

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the way those came out. I use recycled books and music pages alot, they have such visual interest. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting this wonderful project - wanna try this and am going to try tea/coffee staining on the whiter paper to see if I can create a vintage look.
    Debbie (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing - I LOVE it! We've linked up to you in our post "Clear Ornament Inspiration."
    http://youpinspireme.blogspot.ca/2012/12/clear-ornament-inspiration.html

    ReplyDelete

Feedback...