Monday, October 27, 2014

Gathering Around the Table

Today I thought I would share with you all an easy and inexpensive table renovation project.  We’ve been in our “new house” for almost 2 years now, and shortly after we moved, God laid it on mine and my husband’s hearts to also move churches.  Our move from one house to another was only about 15 miles but it was a different town with a different community.  We both felt the importance of being in community with those around us and what better way to minister to your community than to be a part of the believers that are also there.  


After months of prayer and tears and asking if God was really sure about this, we said “see ya later” to what had been my church family for 25 years.  We spent the next 6 months visiting churches and on our knees, asking the God of the universe to make His will abundantly clear, to plant us with a group of believers that we could minister to and that could also pour into us, a church that was founded on the core values and beliefs that were in line with the Word of God.  I will be honest…that was a long 6 months!  My husband and I would often talk about how Abraham and Sarah must have felt when God told them to leave what they knew, what they were familiar with, their families and loved ones, to go to a land that He would show them, oh how we could relate.  Oh, and the Israelites walking circles in the desert, yep, we could relate with them, too.  David’s prayer in Psalm 63:1 became my hearts cry… “You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.”  It’s amazing how being apart from the family of God can spiritually dry you up.  We yearned for a place to call home again.  Of course, God came through, He always does, in His timing and it was of course better than anything we could have dreamed up.  

I know I started out this post with telling you I had a renovation project to share and you’re probably wondering what in the world our seeking a knew a church has to do with a table but sit tight, I’m gonna connect the two here shortly.  

That church that we now call home is full of people who love Christ with their whole heart and are so willing to serve Him and be in fellowship with others who have that same passion.  When we purchased our home, it was with the intent of having something to grow in to.  There were 2 of us moving into a 2000+ square foot home with 5 bedrooms and 2 baths.  Hospitality is my top spiritual gift so hosting is my heart.  Our hopes and dreams were to fill it with get-togethers, warm meals, and close friends and family, and eventually a bunch of children.  Well, the first little one is expected in January and as for hosting, we have the privilege with our new church family to host a community group every Tuesday night…young married and engaged couples…another area of ministry that is near and dear to our hearts.  Each week we get together to eat a nice warm meal and dive into God’s Word together.  There are 12 of us…and my dining room table would only seat 6.  What’s a people lovin’, southern cookin’, hospitable DIYer to do but build a bigger table?!  (With the help of her extremely handsome and very handy husband, of course)  I drew up the design and he brought her to life.  

The table we had was in perfectly good condition and I’m not about to pay full retail price for anything so building a top to fit on top of the existing table seemed to be the only option.  


We built the frame that would fit around the table with four 1x6’s and a Kreg Jig...



 which is the coolest and handiest invention that I’ve seen in quite some time.  


And for the table top, we used four 1x12’s and braced each end with a 2x4.  The part I had the most fun with was beating up the wood.  I danced on it in the gravel, stomped rocks into it, and beat it with a chain.  Once I got worn out, I let hubby finish beating it with a chain.  


We stained the top Dark Walnut, let it dry... 


and finished attaching the top to the base and then brought her inside and laid her on top of the existing table (we placed a sheet of felt between the two to keep from scratching the existing table top.


And there you have it… our 6 person table was quickly and inexpensively transformed into a 10 to 12 person table…  I am on the lookout for chairs now, though, so keep an eye out for me!

”They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts...”  Acts 2:46

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully made as are you and Heath! Prayers for you and your family of love and happiness for years to come!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback...